Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sweet Pickle Relish And Egg Salad Sandwhiches

Ok I call it cucumber relish but the recipe I made is called sweet pickle relish. This year I bought the Better Homes and Garden's canning magazine and paid way too much for it, but it was worth it. Wanting to use up the pickling cukes I purchased at the Oregon City farmer's market this looked like the winner. I don't eat pickles, even though I canned a whole lot of them this year, but I do put relish in things and on my hotdog. I made this recipe back in August but it came back to my attention today as I was putting it in the most fabulous egg salad.

Sweet Pickle Relish adapted from BHG Canning magazine 2011
6 cups (about 6 medium)seeded and finely chopped pickling cucumbers
3 cups (about 6 medium) finely chopped onions
3 cups (about 3 large) seeded and finely chopped green and/or red sweet peppers
1/4 cup pickling salt
cold water
3 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

I found these beautiful purple peppers (wish I would have picked a peck......)at the farmer's market to use.

In an extra-large nonmetal bowl, combine the cucumbers, onions, and sweet peppers. In this batch I hand diced everything, in others I have also used the food processor. Go with what you have. Sprinkle vegetables with salt; toss gently to coat. Add enough cold water to cover the vegetables. Cover and allow to stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Go now and do a craft project!
Rinse vegetables in a colander with cold water and drain.

In large heavy pot combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add the veggies. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until most of the excess liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.

Gather your supplies and prepare to can them in a water bath. If you can't tell those are canning jar rings around his cute little arm. What a big helper!

Process filled jars, leaving half inch headspace, for 10 minutes. Makes 7 half-pints.

If you have one to open right away go immediately and make an egg salad sandwich!
5 hard boiled eggs peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dried onion mix (like Tastefully Simples Onion Onion mix)
2 tablespoons sweet pepper relish
salt and pepper to taste.
eat with a spoon or spread onto a sandwich and enjoy!
The boys ate this on toasted bread in between the craft project coming up next, I ate mine on a artisan tortilla.

I would love to know what you put relish in!

No comments:

Post a Comment